Funding has been allocated to all maintained and state-funded schools with primary phase pupils from 1 September 2013. A typical primary school received about £9,250 annually in the academic years 2013/14 through to 2016/17. Funding will continue for 2017/18
The Government has allocated this extra funding directly to schools. School can choose how they use the funding, for example to:
- Hire specialist PE staff to work with primary teachers during PE lessons.
- Target the least active children by running after-school sports clubs and holiday clubs.
- Provide resources and training courses in PE and sport for teachers
- Run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in school games
- Run sports activities with other schools
The amount allocated to Wren Park Primary School for the academic year 2016-2017 was £9630
This is how we are using the funding:
- Employing qualified sports coaches to work alongside teachers in lessons to increase their subject knowledge and confidence.
- Providing gymnastic equipment such as crash mats to ensure future gymnastic sessions can be run to the same high standards of safety.
- Providing supply staff to release teachers for professional development in PE and sport.
- Buying into Derby City School Sports Partnership
- Using specialist provision in dance, team games, striking and field games and tennis to improve quality of teaching, skill development and enjoyment of pupils
Through our association with Mickleover Gymnastics Club, two of our pupils competed in the USA last year!